|Bahrain is the small green island in the center of the picture.|
- Drink- alcohol is plentiful in Bahrain, while outlawed in Saudi
- Random hookups- prostitution is legal
- Go to the movies- there are no movie theaters in Saudi because it encourages mixing of the sexes (and in the dark?? heaven forbid!)
- Try on clothes- there are women's fitting rooms in Bahrain (this explains why)
- Women can drive
- Women don't have to wear abayas in public
So, this past Friday I decided to go check it out for a little change of scenery. Unfortunately, Al had to go offshore for a job, so I went with my neighbor May and her hubby Walid. I knew it was going to be a short drive, but was still surprised at how short it really was. From our compound it takes about 10 minutes to get to the King Fahed Coastalway, which is a bridge built over the water to connect Saudi with Bahrain.
After a 10 minute drive on the bridge, we reached a man-made island denoting the border between the two countries. I heard that sometimes (especially on nights before a weekend) you can wait up to 3 hours at the border because of the crowd of Saudi's fleeing to Bahrain for the weekend, but we were lucky and it only took us a few minutes to get through the border patrol for each country. Another 10 minute drive on the bridge and there we were, in the middle of the captial city of Manama.
|Welcome to Bahrain!|
|May and I at Trader Vick's!|
|Big thanks to my wonderful neighbors for a fun day!|