Friday, October 15, 2010

Some perspective...

I don't think anyone is ever ready to have a baby. No matter at what point you are in your life, there always seems to be something...some plan, some idea of something you wanted to do that would be hindered if a baby was in the picture. Although I am so happy and thankful and feel so blessed about my pregnancy, I can't help but go through so much of what Al and I talked about before we moved here to Saudi...a second honeymoon in the Maldives, a trip to Europe, me finishing my MBA, enjoying our time together and getting settled in before we think we're ready to have a baby. But like most major things in life, things come when you least expect them. 

Suddenly, Al and I are finding ourselves putting all those plans on hold. We're having conversations about how we're going to be this kind of parents and raise our child this way and not do this and do that...but the reality is, you can't plan on what kind of parents you're going to be or what you're going to do when the baby arrives...kind of like how its hard to plan on when to have a baby in the first place. Being the control freak that I am, it's hard for me to step back and not think so much about how I'm going to go about this. I'm trying to accept the fact that it's a learning process, and I'll deal with things as they come along and make decisions depending on the situation. I will learn as I go along. Man...that is giving up A LOT of control. But maybe that's a good thing for me...I think if anyone is willing to relinquish a form of that control that we all love in any situation, they will be more successful in life. Because if I have learned anything, its that the more you try to plan ahead, the more you are going to be disappointed and thrown off by the things that life hands you. You're more likely to be successful when you're good at dealing with unexpected situations. This is what I'm trying to do...I think I've been good at adjusting and adapting to the unexpected so far, but this is the biggest thing I've had to deal with. Hopefully I can do enough to be a good mommy to this wonderful treasure that we've been blessed with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment